The term “nursing home abuse” first brings to mind these offenses: mental abuse, verbal abuse, emotional abuse, and physical abuse. But that is just the surface of how many different ways our loved ones have been neglected while in the protection of nursing home staff. It is shocking and discouraging to even think about any forms of abuse that may occur in nursing homes, regardless of the offense. If you have even had the inckling of a thought that your loved one might be suffering from any sort of abuse or neglect in their current nursing home facility, you must take action. In 2016 alone, over 22,000 nursing home abuse and neglect cases went to trial.
Five subtle warning signs of nursing home abuse or neglect in no particular order, include the following:
- Has your loved one become withdrawn or timid suddenly? Personality changes are a significant warning sign to pay attention too. A result of possible verbal, mental, or physical abuse.
- A decline in health. This could be a result of the staff failing to regularly provide necessary medications prescribed to the patient and on a regular basis as needed.
- Has your loved one rapidly been gaining or losing weight? This could be a sign of malnutrition or failing to provide opportunities for physical exercise.
- A sudden appearance of bruises and wounds. This could be a sign of physical abuse, lack of monitoring, or neglect.
- Dirty clothing or bedding. This could be a result of neglect as well with your loved one’s hygiene not being looked after causing possible detrimental illnesses.
If you have noticed any of the above occuring to your loved one, contact Kosieradzki Smith Law Firm LLC for a free consultation with an experienced nursing home neglect attorney. At Kosieradzki Smith, they have the experience to get you and your loved one the justice you deserve. They have literally given back the lives to countless elderly folk and restored peace of mind to their families.
While even the thought of your loved one being abused or neglected is painful, the reality of it actually happening is hard to comprehend. If you believe that your loved one may be being abused or neglected at their nursing home facility, please do not hesitate to reach out to one of our dedicated and compassionate nursing home abuse lawyers in Rochester. Nursing home facilities that fail to follow through and abide by the guidelines lined out in your contract face hefty fines and possibly even be shut down by the state.